Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Silent Night hand position
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:03 am 

It has always been difficult to get good hand position on the thirds in Silent Night. Some students have trouble with the concept of pushing the hand forward to get the curve between 1 & 2.

I've recently had luck with having them make sure the knuckle of 2 is actually touching the string below (If 2 is playing E, the knuckle will be against D.)

Of course you have to make sure that they don't do it by squishing the whole hand into the strings, or by pushing the wrist out -- but it seems to be working!

This is just an exercise -- the final product wouldn't necessarily touch the string below, but I'm having them do it for a few weeks. Anyone else have ideas on teaching hand position for thirds?

Post subject: Re: Silent Night hand position
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:32 pm 

I have them play 2 and see how nice their finger is. Then I have them play 1 and see what great space they have. Then I warn them that I'm going to be incredibly bossy and I get them settled into the right position for the third, making sure their hand is all loose and nice and their wrist is heavy and then I say "Go!" And then we do the next one. And the next one. And the next one. And pretty soon they get sick of me micromanaging them and they start to do it right. At which point I skip to giving them verbal feedback instead of saying "Go." They get "Good" "Okay" or "Eeew" I like those 3 things to say. 'Cause they think "eew" is funny, but it does get the point across. And you can do a lot with inflection. "Okay" if you say it right sounds like it's very nearly good...or just above eew. I use that all the time now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]