Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Banishing the Boggart
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:50 pm 

I just had a student (one of those sulky teenagers) who is preparing for a recital, and performed a piece in her lesson that fell apart. You've seen the scene before -- she gets frustrated at one mistake, therefore makes another, and finally gives up in disgust.

We've had all the talks about keeping going, putting the mistakes behind you, etc., etc. Well this time, I asked her if she was a Harry Potter fan. Seeing her eyes light up, I said, "Riddikulus!"

"OK, there's a boggart! and your worst fear is that there will be lots of mistakes in your piece. So when the boggart appears in the form of mistakes, imagine them turning into something funny. Each wrong note turns into a flower and falls all around the harp. And you cast the spell 'Riddikulus!!' It makes you laugh, and the boggart is banished!"

Now when she makes an error, I wave my wand, cry "Riddikulus!", she smiles, and moves on. (My apologies to those of you who have never read Harry Potter.)

Post subject: Re: Banishing the Boggart
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 pm 

I tell students that when you are driving and you see road-kill, you don't stop the car and go "Yeew". You just look ahead and keep on driving. So I say, "don't stop for road-kill". Keep your focus on the road ahead.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]