Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Competition Repertoire Intermediate I
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:06 pm 

I've never sent a student to an AHS competition before - and I'm just now opening my non-urgent mail from the spring. (wups) How long as this info been out anyway? Would someone give me advice on Suzuki level appropriateness for the Intermediate I division?
I have a 13 yr old almost Book 4 student who is interested in doing a competition. Quick learner, super practicer, mature for her age...but from what I know of the music now and what I've heard of it on youtube, this might be a huge stretch.
Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks!
--Phala

Post subject: Re: Competition Repertoire Intermediate I
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:05 am 

Your student sounds like she's just at the right level for the Junior division but is unfortunately too old. I have one student in Intermediate 1 who is 2/3 of the way through book 4 and a very good reader -- and it's even a bit of a stretch for her. The others working on that division are in book 5 and 6.

I have in the past had students learn the music when they're not really quite at the level required. Usually we realize from the beginning that it's just a learning experience, and usually their recordings are not accepted. If that's ok with the student and they're excited to try it, it can be a great experience. I wouldn't do it unless they're good readers though. Good luck!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]